Are you in the market for a midsize sedan? Questioning whether it will have the space and comfort that you and your family require? All at an affordable price?
If so, you should stop by our Blue Springs Hyundai dealership to take the 2018 Sonata for a test drive. Ranked 4th in midsize cars by U.S. News, with an overall high grade for competence and comfort, the new Sonata is a must-see for the midsize-vehicle buyer.
To be sure, we took some time to research and compare the 2018 Sonata with another popular midsize sedan: the 2018 Buick Regal.
Our conclusion? It remains the same; the 2018 Hyundai Sonata emerges as the clear winner, and we’re confident you’ll agree.
2018 Buick Regal
- In comparison to the 4th-ranked Sonata, the 2018 Buick Regal rated closer toward the bottom of its class, at #19 in the Midsize Cars Class by U.S. News. Basing their evaluation on 15 separate pieces of research and various data sources, they determined that its interior quality (described as “subpar”), technology features (“outdated”), and predicted reliability rating (“poor”) fall behind the Sonata.
- The reliability rating, at 2/5, is one of the lowest scores a car can receive.
- Fuel economy falls slightly below average, with an average of 22 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.
- The Regal has not received high grades by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration nor the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
- While some say the Regal’s price tag fits its classy styling, others say that, with the fake stitching and hard plastic surfaces, the Buick Regal is outmatched by their competitors, particularly the lower-priced Sonata.
- Standard is keyless entry, a 7-inch touch screen and USB port, infotainment system that syncs with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, though experts have said that these features feel outdated compared to its rivals.
- Buick offers a standard four-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and a six-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty.
2018 Hyundai Sonata
On the other hand, the 2018 Hyundai Sonata is positioned near the top of midsize car rankings, and considered a finalist in the 2018 Best Midsize Car for the Money for good reason.
- A hands-free power trunk, with greater than average storage at over 16 cubic feet of cargo space–enough to store four sets of golf clubs.
- Supportive seats and a comfortable cabin that is particularly generous to taller drivers and passengers.
- New user-friendly technological features, including Bluetooth, USB ports, a 7-inch toucscreen, wireless device changing (not typically offered in midsize cars), and Hyundai’s Blue Link infotainment system, which is compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- Good gas mileage at 25 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. If you opt for Sonata Eco trim, those MPG ratings climb to 28 and 37 respectively.
- 185-horsepower four-cylinder engine is standard, and two turbocharged four-cylinder engines are available. While it doesn’t offer as much torque as the Regal, the new Sonata is a plush, balanced ride with responsive steering and a smaller turning radius, making it easier to squeeze in and out of tight spots.
- New suspension offers improved handling on curvy roads and smoother ride over rough pavement.
- Above-average reliability, as ranked by J.D. Power at a 3.5/5.
- Few cars on the road have the safety credentials of the Sonata. The IIHS calls the 2018 Hyundai Sonata a Top Safety Pick+ after it earned top “Good” scores on all its crash tests, and a “Superior” rating for its optional front crash prevention tech.
- Federal testers give the Sonata five stars overall, including five stars for front- and side-impact crash safety.
- All Sonata models now come standard with blind-spot monitors and rear cross-traffic alerts, in addition to a rearview camera, seven airbags, and stability control.
- Hyundai’s warranty is better than the Buick Regal as well as nearly every other midsize car. Hyundai backs the Sonata with a five-year/60,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty, and a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Overall, the choice becomes clear. The 2018 Buick Regal is, it seems, less than regal, while the 2018 Hyundai Sonata is…well, you just ought to try one out to believe it.
If you’re in need of a new car in Blue Springs or Kansas City, visit McCarthy Hyundai, your car dealer that is here to serve each and every shopper. Contact our Blue Springs Hyundai dealership at 816-224-7500 or visit us at 3000 NW S Outer Rd to test out the 2018 Sonata or any of our other new Hyundai vehicles. We have exceptional Hyundai finance and lease offers available, too!
Sources & Photos: