This year, Hyundai managed an incredible feat at the Detroit Auto Show, scoring two of three awards for best car and SUV in America. In the 25 years that the NAIAS has been happening, a single manufacturer winning more than one yearly award has only been accomplished 5 times. The South Korean auto manufacturer deserves some major kudos for this achievement.
But what vehicles won, you ask? The Hyundai Genesis G70 beat out the Honda Insight and the Volvo S60/V60 to become the Best Car in America. The Hyundai Kona and Kona EV swept away the competition for Best Utility Vehicle in America, beating out both Jaguar’s I-Pace and Acura’s RDX.
Hyundai Kona & Kona EV Win Big
If you’re searching for a sports utility vehicle, you would be hard pressed to find a better mix of comfort, style, safety, and mechanical superiority. When you look closer at the Kona and Kona EV models, it quickly becomes apparent why it scored 203 overall points, easily besting the Jaguar I-Pace’s 181 points and Acura RDX’s 156 points. Here’s what the Kona and the Kona EV have to offer.
When it comes to class and comfort, Hyundai has outdone themselves with their Kona models. You can find the following features, and more, in the new Kona:
- Heated seats
- Dual-level cargo floor
- A color touchscreen display audio system with smart linking capabilities
- Android Auto & Apple CarPlay
- Wireless device charging
- Heads-up display
- Rear-view monitor with parking guidance to prevent accidents
- An information display that includes real-time data such as miles till empty, average mpg, elapsed trip time, and even an instant fuel-consumption analysis to help you become a more efficient driver
- Proximity-based entry with push-button start
When it comes to protecting the most valuable cargo in your car – your family – Hyundai Kona has you covered. The new Kona comes with Hyundai SmartSense, which includes:
- Rollover sensors
- Electronic stability control
- Blind-spot collision warnings
- Lane changing assistance
- Rear cross-traffic and forward collision warning
- Lane keeping assistance
- Pedestrian detection
Under the Hood
If you’re in need of a little zip for your daily commutes, look no further than the new turbocharged engines in the Hyundai SUV. With combined gas mileage of 30 mpg, both the front-wheel and all-wheel drive Kona models will keep you chugging along. Depending on trim, the non-electric Kona includes:
- A 2.0L inline-4 (147 horsepower and 132 lb-ft of torque)
- A 1.6L turbo-4 (175 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque)
- CVVT valve train to improve overall performance
- Optional 6-speed automatic transmission or a 7-speed dual clutch
- Normal and sport drive modes
After you purchase your Kona, you will rest easy knowing that should something go wrong, you are covered. Hyundai Assurance is America’s best warranty program, and it includes:
- 5-year / 60,000-mile warranty for new vehicles
- 10-year / 100,000-mile warranty on powertrains
- 7-year anti-perforation warranty
- 5-year roadside assistance
Kona Is Changing The Electric Vehicle Game
Electric vehicles have their limitations, but that is changing. Enter the Kona EV, stage left. Industry experts deem the Kona to be the best electric vehicle available in the marketplace today. It has the longest real-world driving range of any electric vehicle, scoring a whopping 259 miles on a single charge. To top it all off? The Kona EV is stylish, roomy, and affordable!
If you think you might be in the market for an electric crossover, you will not find a better car than the Kona EV. Or if you’re not sold on electric crossover yet, the gas-powered Kona offers more than competitors, hands down. In fact, anything else than the new Kona would just be settling for less than you deserve.
Our Blue Springs Hyundai dealership should have the Kona EV on our showroom floors soon. Keep an eye out or simply contact us at 816-224-7500 for release updates. When it arrives, you can be the first in your Kansas City neighborhood to bring it home!
Sources & Photos: